What are the benefits of Maternity Gymnastics?
Pregnant women who perform Maternity Gymnastics often find they have an easier birth. Strengthening these muscles during pregnancy can help you develop the ability to control your muscles during labor and delivery. Toning all of these muscles will also minimize two common problems during pregnancy: bladder leaks and hemorrhoids.
Maternity Gymnastics are also recommended after pregnancy to promote perineal healing, regain bladder control, and strengthen pelvic floor muscles. The best thing about Maternity Gymnastics is that they can be done anywhere, and no one knows you’re doing them.
Advantages of Maternity Gymnastics
- Less chance of perineal tearing
- Less chance of urinary problems and bladder leaks
- More ability to control muscles during labor and delivery
- Less chance of developing hemorrhoids
How to do Maternity Gymnastics ?
1) To find the correct muscles, practice stopping the flow of urine when urinating.
2) Contract pelvic floor muscles for 10 seconds, then relax, repeating 10-20 times.
3) Breathe normally during the exercises and do this at least three times a day.
4) Try not to move your leg, buttock, or abdominal muscles during the exercises.
Ideas for when to do Maternity Gymnastics ?
- When you’re stopped at a red light
- In the waiting room at the midwife or doctor's office
- Drive thru’s such as the bank, dry cleaners, and pharmacy
Copyright ©2012. RS Ibu & Anak Anugerah. Semarang